As I previously mentioned, Sony is planning to make a splash at IFA 2012 in Berlin, Germany on August 29. A couple Android smartphones are expected to be announced at the press conference, but now there seems to be a tablet in the mix. Details of a device called the “Xperia Sony Tablet” have leaked out spilling information on specs, pricing, accessories and more.
The Xperia Sony Tablet is essentially the successor to the Tablet S, which was announced a year ago this August. Aside from adopting the Xperia branding, the XST is said to be 42% thinner/lighter and more powerful compared to its predecessor. Specs-wise we’re looking at a 9.4-inch display, Tegra 3 quad-core processor, an 8 megapixel rear camera, 1MP front-facing camera, 6000 mAh battery and 16/32/64GB storage configurations – $450, $550 and $650, respectively. Of the numerous accessories leaked in the slides below, the “Cover with Keyboard” stands out the most. The design looks similar to Microsoft’s Touch Cover implementation for the Windows 8 Surface tablets.
Sony Xperia Tablet Specs:
- Positioned as part of Xperia family
- 9.4-inch 1280×800 LCD display
- Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core processor
- 16/32/64GB of internal storage
- 8 megapixel rear camera
- 1 megapixel front-facing camera
- 42% thinner (8.8mm) and lighter (570g) than Tablet S
- Aluminium and splash proof
- 6000mAh battery
- HDMI, SD Card, USB port, DLNA support
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (maybe 4.1 Jelly Bean)
- Pricing: 16GB for $449.99, 32GB for $549.99 and 64GB for $649.99