Splashtop 2 HD, complete with its proprietary “Bridging Cloud” infrastructure, is now available for 7 to 10-inch tablets running Android 3.1 and higher. The app allows users to remotely access their Windows PC or Mac to run applications, view/edit files, watch HD movies and play graphic-intensive games. The updated version offers better performance through hardware acceleration, pinch to zoom functionality, a more user-friendly interface, Wake-on-LAN (WoL) support, and 3G/4G Internet access. Most impressive is that the app now supports 30 frames per second of video streaming and sub-30-millisecond latency, which goes a long way in providing smoother video playback and a responsive gaming experience.
The basic version of Splashtop 2 HD, which allows local area network (LAN) connectivity, is available for free for a limited time, however, users will need to pay a monthly fee (99 cents) or yearly fee ($9.99) for the “Anywhere Access Pack” in order to connect to devices over the Internet. Grab it from Google Play.
- Access all your programs and files with 100% compatibility, including PowerPoint, Keynote, Word, Excel, Outlook, Quicken, IE, Firefox, Safari, and other PC / Mac applications.
- Watch all kinds of videos, including Flash videos (Hulu, AOL Video, Yahoo Video, etc.), DVDs, Media Player, that are only playable on your computer.
- Listen to music in any format on your computer (WMV, Real, WMA, MP3, AAC, etc.)
- Play 3D games (like Diablo III, Civilization V) or all the Flash games (like FarmVille, CityVille, Pet Society, Café World, FrontierVille)
- Connect to your PC or Mac seamlessly from anywhere, including over 3G/4G
- Browse all your content securely across the Internet with the same encryption algorithms and technologies as the biggest banks in the world.
- Establish the fastest and most responsive remote connection with enhanced reliability and self-optimizing network capabilities.
- Windows 7, Vista, and XP (including Home Premium), or Mac OS X 10.6+ (Snow Leopard or Lion is required for Mac users).
- A computer with dual-core CPU is strongly recommended for best performance.
- Internet connection is needed to use this app.