According to a Sprint internal memo, the HTC EVO 4G is due to receive an OTA update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread on June 6th, or June 3rd if you’re willing to search and download the upgrade manually. Now we know why Sprint randomly noted “now with Android 2.3 Gingerbread” on their EVO 4G site listing last week – it’s coming shortly!
To clarify, you should get an update notification on or around June 6th, but if you’re eager to taste some Gingerbread as soon as possible, you can do a manual search for the update starting June 3rd. The software build is 4.22.651.2 and I’ve posted the changelog included in the memo below.
Either this update won’t feature many changes aside from Gingerbread or they’re leaving information out. We don’t expect to see the version of Sense UI that’s featured on the EVO 3D, but an update to the build packaged on the Inspire 4G and Thunderbolt would be nice. It’s just shocking to see so few changes for a major upgrade, especially after seeing the Droid X’s Gingerbread upgrade list.
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- Downloads application gives the user easy access to any file downloaded from the browser, email , or another app
- SMS intermittently sent to wrong and seemingly random contact
- “Me” instead of “You” in SMS thread conversations when set to Spanish
- Multiple Gmail accounts no longer sync after 2.2 update
- Unable to change a battery that has reached a state of discharge well beyond the low battery/power down threshold