Sprint finally started rolling out an update to Android 2.2 Froyo for the Samsung Epic 4G a few days ago, but now they’ve put it on hold due to issues. Apparently, some users are experiencing data connectivity and SD card malfunctions – yikes. No word on when we can expect to see the update again, unfortunately. Sprint reached out to its customers by making the following statements.
Sprint and Samsung have temporarily suspended the Samsung Epic 4G over-the-air upgrade to Android 2.2 (Froyo) as a result of issues experienced by a small number of customers. We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform additional software testing to ensure the best customer experience. Additional information will be provided when it becomes available. If you have experienced any issues, please reach out to Samsung Customer Care 1-888-987-HELP(4357) or Sprint Customer Care at 1-888-211-4727.
Further details from Sprint:
There have been an increased number of calls into Care regarding issues with the Epic following the upgrade. As a result, the upgrade will not be pushed to more devices until a resolution for these issues is in place. The OTW update on the Samsung website will also be taken down. Sprint and Samsung are actively working to correct these problems and release the update to all devices. I will provide updates as I receive them. The issues being reported are related to data connectivity following the upgrade and SD card issues when attempting to access photos, music, etc. If you are experiencing these issues, a hard reset has been reported to resolve the problems. A hard reset will wipe out all the data on your device, so a backup should be done first.
To hard reset your device:
1. Turn off your phone
2. Hold the volume down, camera and power buttons until the system recovery screen appears.
3. Use the volume keys to scroll to wipe data/factory reset and select that option using the home key.
4. You will see a warning on the screen telling you that you are about to reset your phone and erase all your personal information.
5. Press the volume up key to proceed. Press the volume down button to exit and not reset your phone.
6. After the reset is complete, use the home key to select reboot system now.
7. Your phone will turn off and turn back on.
Enhancements/Fixes in the EB13 update:
- Upgrade of the Google OS from Éclair to Froyo (2.2.1)
- Ability to install applications to external storage
- Improved Bluetooth device support
- Bluetooth Voice Dialing
- Flash Player 10.1
- GPS Enhancements
- Improved OS performance
- Email PIN based authentication
- User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G