UPDATE: After a thorough inspection of the device by Fire Investigations UK, the owner now admits to microwaving his Samsung Galaxy S III!
The Samsung Galaxy S III is arguably the hottest smartphone on the market right now – literally, it’s so hot that it’s catching fire, at least in one particular scenario. According to owner Dillo2k10, his Galaxy S3 (global HSPA+ version) malfunctioned and exploded while docked in his car mount. I’ve posted his story below, along with close-up photos of the damage. It’s an interesting read that will likely remind consumers that smartphones can self-destruct in rare cases or if put under enough stress.
The Story of the Exploding Samsung Galaxy S III:
So I was driving along today with my Galaxy S3 in my car mount when suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone. I pulled in to look at my phone, the phone burned from the inside out. Burned through the plastic and melted my case to my phone. The phone kept working but without any signal.
I brought it to the Carphone Warehouse and they told me that they couldn’t replace it for me, that they had to send it off to be checked out first. Not even a replacement phone, left with nothing. The phone was destroyed and it slightly burned a piece of plastic on the inside of my car. Probably nothing I can do, but I’m really annoyed. That could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed. It’s very dangerous.