Opera Mobile and Opera Mini have been two of the most popular and highly rated Web browsers for the Android platform in recent years. Now, Opera Software has built a new WebKit-powered browser from the ground-up and released it to Google Play as Opera Browser Beta.
Check out the promo video above, screenshots & feature-list below, and then head to the Google Play store for the free download. You can also download the app by visiting the Opera Browser portal on the company’s website.
Opera Browser Beta Features:
- New look: Opera for Android sports a completely new user interface that is more elegant and built to the native specifications of the Android platform.
- Discover feature: This provides a new way of discovering content on the web. From the Discover panel of the startup screen, you can read a selection of popular articles and dig deeper into your interests, such as sports, technology, lifestyle or news. Opera has selected relevant global and regional sources, so let Opera do the surfing for you.
- New, revamped Speed Dial: Opera’s engineers discovered that users like to have links readily available in the Speed Dial, yet also wanted the flexibility of a bookmark folder. With the new Speed Dial, the bookmarks are fused together with the Speed Dial entries to provide a new experience. It’s easier to group, organize and rename Speed Dial entries or gather them in folders — all with the touch of your thumb.
- Off-Road mode: Opera for Android integrates the compression technology from Opera Mini, for faster browsing when conditions are rough. Bad network or costly roaming while traveling? Just switch to Off-Road mode and keep on surfing.
- Combined search and address bar: Opera has combined the search and URL field for a more elegant UI and more intuitive input.
- Tabbed browsing: The elegant tabbed browsing makes it easier than ever to browse, open and sort all your open browser windows on your phone. It even offers private browsing, just like the Opera desktop browser.
- History: With the easily accessible history mode, return to that page you saw earlier today fast — just swipe your finger to the right to access the content on the left on your home screen.
- Save for later: This feature lets the user download a complete webpage and read it later while offline. It’s perfect for reading long articles on flights without Wi-Fi or just when you don’t want to connect to the internet.