Remember that exploding Samsung Galaxy S III? Well, it turns out that it’s not so explosive after all. According to Samsung and Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), “the energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device” and “the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire.” The report goes on further to say that the “only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner’s damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave.”
The owner of the handset has since reneged his original statement on the Boards.ie forums and admits full responsibility for the damaged device, likely in an effort to avoid a lawsuit from Samsung’s legal team. It’s very clear now that he stupidly tried to recover a water damaged Galaxy S3 by popping it into a microwave, then tried to blame it on Samsung to get a free replacement. He certainly had the blogosphere convinced with his story and photos, but thankfully Samsung rightfully exposed his acts of dishonesty. View the confession and report from Fire Investigations below.
Source: Boards.ie, Samsung